Monday, January 22, 2018

MLK Day with Poverty in Action

On Martin Luther King Junior Day, I ventured down to the state capital to attend a Poverty in Action lobbying event. My boss and I were both supposed to be in attendance. However, she became sick last minute and I had to go it alone. I was nervous as I am not use to attending events by myself. The experience was amazing though! I met a wonderful people, advocated for my legislative concerns, and listened to some compelling speakers. It is amazing to me how little I know about how our political system works and this had definitely solidified my thirst to learn more.

The event was from 9 am to 3:30 pm at a church within walking distance to Washington State's Capital in Olympia, WA. The event was full with people standing and fitting anywhere they could find room. We heard moving stories about living in poverty in WA, the hardship of a non-citizen, Poverty-in Actions legislative priorities, and even heard from a young boy around 9 which for him this was his 6th lobbying event!

We broke off into Districts and with all those people present guess how many were in the District 27 group....two. This is when I met Kristi and as we began to plan what we were going to say to our law makers. I will tell you about the amazing woman named Kristi at a later date. Her story is amazing! The next day I even attended a Senate bill hearing where she spoke for the bill on a panel. The Department of Correction made a presentation of their budget and challenges that they face, as well as, proposed solutions. I got to hear it all! I didn't even know I could do that!

We met with Jake Fey "Mista Fey" according to the name tent on his desk. He listened to our positions on TANF (temporary assistance for needy families ) and on removing certain limitations for people serving time to enter a parenting program.

We also met with Ann Dasch Legislative Assistant to Laurie Jinkins as she was busy. Ann was wonderful and seem to really be listening to what our positions were. I do hope to meet Laurie as she is a Tacoma, WA and Wonder Woman fan.

Laurie's Window Sill 

All in all, I have caught a bug. I am going to learn more about how our political system works, my rights and how to use my voice to impart change and I am going to pass it on! I was able to network with lobbying groups like Civil Action and really let my voice be heard. I encourage all my readers to educate themselves about events like these and let their voice be heard also. Poverty in Action is a great place to get involved if you reside in WA and I am sure there are groups like this in every state. Get Active and thanks for listening!

Stay Fluid,

LQD


*Poverty in Action is "Washington state’s largest anti-poverty organization, committed to building grassroots power to end causes of poverty and create opportunities for everyone to prosper." www.povertyaction.org



Kristi, Jake Fey, and ME


The Event



Shameless Selfie of me at the Event!
Lipstick: Cailyn Extreme Matte Tint  #16

The Capital: Olympia, WA


No comments:

Post a Comment